If you are going on vacation or just a trip to Brussels Belgium, definitely check the national dishes. Due to the country location, Belgium cuisine has taken influences from both Dutch and French dishes and thus taking from the best of the worlds to create one great tasting specialities.
Here are some of them:
- (Gentse) Waterzooi: The word is dutch and means “to boil”. This dish is a classic stew made of fish(carp, pike, eel and bass) or chicken, the latter is more common these days. Alongside the meat, some vegetables are included like – potatoes, carrots, leeks, herbs, eggs, cream and butter. Usually it is served with toasted French bread
- Belgian Fries (Frieten): They may look like the ordinary fries, but the secret is that they are fried two times and a special sort of potato is used – Bintje
- Paling in’t groen: This is traditional Flemish dish which is made of eels with herbs and vegetables
- Gauffres (Belgian Walffles): Really nice desert consisted of special made waffle which is covered with syrup, sliced fruits, whipped cream or chocolate. The variety of toppings is rich and can satisfy every different taste
- Moules frites: This dish is popular in both France and Belgium and its Mussels and chips or French fries, for even better tasting eat them with the accompaniment of chilled white wine.
also called Oliebol, the meanings of the words are “lard balls” and “oil balls” for the latter. This is a desert type of dish, which is eaten on the New Year’s Eve or festivals. Piece of dough, is scooped with two spoons, which is then fried in hot oil and then placed to rise for at least an hour. The smoutebollen is sprinkled with sugar and served
- La Carbonade Flamande: A beef meat is first fried for few minutes and then boiled with garlic, onions and various spices to become beautifully tasting dish, served with noodles or fries. Some recipes use dark beer to add depth to the dish’s favor
- Boudin Blanc: fried blood sausages from pork meat served with white rice
- Choesels: offal cooked with Lambic beer
- Endives: this is not a dish rather than an important ingredient in a major part in the belgium dishes, the belgians called it the “white gold”, this leaf vegetable is used in appetizers, soups, salads and entrees.
- Potatoes: this is also important ingredient in many recipes
With more than 150 different types, the belgian cheese is something which should be included in our review for Brussels foods. Hard, soft, from cow or a sheep, the are plenty of flavors
As a primary tourist destination, you can find in Brussels all of the Belgium national dishes and even if you are not a gastronome be sure to taste some of these delicious foods